Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 Double-Cab
What is it?
Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 Double-Cab is the most robust and capable version of the popular Isuzu D-Max pick-up, created with the help of Arctic trucks.
Arctic Trucks are probably best known for their work in producing specialist four-wheel drive versions of the Toyota Hilux, but have now turned their attention to the popular Isuzu pick-up.
- When we had the standard D-Max Blade on test last year – see our D-Max Blade review – we remarked at how a couple of extras could really transform the Isuzu’s modern looks. Add the taller stance, a set of chunky wheelarches, plus those 35-inch tyres on 17 x10 wheels for the AT35 and you have to smile as the look is changed again to a serious off-roader.
- The D-Max’s 2.5-litre twin-turbo diesel engine has 160bhp and although it’s not the smoothest engine, you have to respect the 400Nm of torque, which is handy when starting off – as there’s plenty of go. This is a good thing as those chunky tyres make the acceleration feel more laboured than the standard pick-up.
- Yes the chunky wheels and tyres affect the D-Max’s performance, but when driven on road, we were impressed with the lack of tyre roar, considering the size of them. Plus, the ride is surprisingly composed most of the time.
- Unlike the extreme off-roader makeover on the outside, the interior is unchanged from the standard D-Max. It’s basically well-made and well-equipped, although the AT35’s taller stance makes getting in and out more of a chore. Those thicker side steps are a bit of a mud trap however, so watch your trousers getting in and out after off-roading!
Still, when you’re in, the D-Max’s driving position is comfortable and all-round vision is generally good.
- There’s only one spec for AT35 buyers and it’s well-loaded, with standard leather trim, a six-speaker audio system with Bluetooth, automatic climate control, heated power door mirrors and rear park distance sensors.
- The D-Max AT35 is more than just a high-spec pick-up; there’s the safety kit you expect in the form of stability control, emergency brake assist and six-airbags.
- The shift-on-the-fly four-wheel drive system, those massive 35-inch all-terrain tyres, the wider track, the taller stance (55mm taller than standard!) plus those special Fox Performance dampers go together to make a pick-up that seemed virtually unstoppable off-road – whatever was thrown at it.
- Despite the Arctic Trucks additions, if you’re looking at using the D-Max AT35 for work, it still has the same one-tonne payload and 3.5 Tonne towing capacity.
- This D-Max AT35 feels Tonka Toy tough and still comes with the confidence of a five-year, 100,000 mile warranty.
- The D-Max AT35’s interior might be well-equipped, but the design feels a bit dated and most of the plastics cheap to the touch. There’s also a new model just around the corner too.
- The AT35 doesn’t like to be hurried in corners when on-road. There’s lots of body roll and the driving experience isn’t helped by the lifeless steering and a clunky six-speed gearbox.
- The 2.5-litre twin-turbo diesel engine is keen from low-down the rev range, but disappointingly it seems to run out of puff after that. This engine is quite noisy at idle too.
- The AT35 is only available from a selection of 36 dealers rather than the full dealer network.
The Verdict on Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 Double Cab
With the help of Arctic Trucks, in AT35 form, the Isuzu D-Max is transformed into the king of off-road pick-ups. If you are looking for a serious off-roading pick-up, this is really worth a look. With the taller and wider stance it looks great too.
However, if you’re not going to be spending a lot of time off-road, we’d suggest looking at other rivals, or the standard D-Max, as its off-road ability compromises this Isuzu’s on-road performance significantly.
Lowdown on Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 Double-Cab
|On the road price (ex VAT):||£33,499|
|Load width (max):||1,530mm|
|Load capacity:||1 Tonne|
|Towing capacity braked/unbraked:||3,500kg/750kg|
|Engine:||2.5-litre four-cylinder, turbocharged diesel|
Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 Double Cab has a full tonne load capacity