Fiat Doblo Cargo road test Review: Mark Bursa
Fiat Doblo Cargo SX 1.9 Multijet 8v diesel
What is it?
The Fiat van that isn’t also available as a Peugeot or a Citroen. The Fiat Doblo Cargo was launched back in 2001, and extensively facelifted in 2005. Does it still stand up to newer competitors, such as Citroen Berlingo and Renault Kangoo? Well yes, actually, it does.
- Excellent road manners and a powerful, torquey engine…
- Plus a roomy, comfortable cab makes Doblo Cargo a delight to drive
- Recent front-end facelift has improved the Doblo’s quirky looks….
- …colour-coded bumpers and grille surround are options
- And smart wheel trims add to the Doblo Cargo’s effect
- Big, deep side windows give excellent all-round visibility
- Square, boxy loadspace with excellent access from sliding side doors…
- …standard on SX, and worth having – a £400 extra on other models
- Choice of tailgate or asymmetric doors – doors more practical
- Interior trim is well up to car standards, with plenty of storage areas…
- …while dash-mounted gearstick frees up floorspace
- Options include a 3.8cu m high-roof version
- And a rear roof flap to accommodate extra-long loads
- UK only gets one wheelbase – there is a LWB on the continent
- You go down to Fiorino or up to Scudo if Doblo’s not right for you
- It’s not a looker, despite the makeover and distinctive styling
- If you’re not lugging heavy loads, consider the 1.3 Multijet instead
- It’s an excellent engine, you’ll save £1,325 over the 1.9 SX
What you need to Know
|Monthly Rental: *||£256|
|What will it be worth: **||£2285|
|Loadspace Volume:||3.2cu m|
|Basic Loadspace Dimensions:||1680mm long x 1470mm wide x 1305mm high|
|Engine:||1.9-litre 4cyl turbodiesel|
|Power/torque:||77PS @ 4000rpm/200Nm @ 1750rpm|
*Monthly commercial vehicle rental courtesy of the Van Unit at Lombard Vehicle Management. Based on 36 months/60,000-mile contract hire agreement with maintenance contract.
** Trade value of van if purchased after three years and 60,000 miles. (Powered by Deltapoint)
Business Van Manager Road Test Rating
The Fiat Doblo Cargo is a much-improved van, and still very competitive in a sector full of newer rivals. It offers a good level of specification, while the cab is much more comfortable and practical. It’s more refined in terms of noise, too. Handling and performance were always good, though engines are now Euro4-compliant. And while there still maybe doubts over dealer coverage, this has got better recently since the launch of Fiat Professional as a ‘van brand’. If you’re looking at the new Renault Kangoo or Citroen Berlingo/ Peugeot Partner vans, benchmark them against the Fiat Doblo Cargo – you might be surprised.
Options: Metallic paint, £212; Rear glazed tailgate, £55; Metal bulkhead with glass pane, £75; High roof, £500; Air conditioning, £554.