Ford Transit Leader test Review: Mark Bursa
Ford Transit Leader 260 SWB LR
What is it?
SUB-£12,000 Transit version designed to give small businesses a low-cost entry point to the Ford Transit range. Basic spec is heavy on safety features, but light on luxury – no air-con, for a start.
- Comfortable cab has shaped cloth seats
- Dash has familiar Transit cubbyholes, cupholders and document storage
- Steel bulkhead is standard feature – so cab noise is low
- Build quality is typically excellent – very few rattles and squeaks
- Dash-mounted five-speed gearbox is delightful, with short, precise shift
- 2.2-litre Duratorq engine is lively and smooth; economy good at 34.9mpg
- Low-revving engine means 40mph cruising at 1,500rpm
- 901kg payload and 6.55cu m loadspace – a good fit for most businesses
- Steering is light and precise
- Good safety spec: anti-skid ESP with Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)…
- … as well as Hill Launch Assist (HLA) and ABS brakes with EBD
- No air-con – so a bit steamy in summer…
- …and no sat-nav: Ford had to keep the price down somehow
- Only available in white – you’re white van man whether you like it or not!
- Mobile holders are so 2006: they’ll take an old Nokia, not an iPhone
- 15in steel wheels are a bit basic
- Only one side-door, on the nearside
What you need to Know
|Monthly Rental: *||£n/a|
|What will it be worth: **||£n/a|
|Loadspace Volume:||6.55cu m|
|Basic Loadspace Dimensions:||2,582mm Length|
|Engine:||2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi Diesel|
*Monthly contract hire rentals generated by Concept Vehicle Leasing. Based on a 36 month lease at 10,000 miles a year, 3+35 payments.
** Trade value of van if purchased after three years and 60,000 miles.
(Powered by Deltapoint)
Business Van Manager Road Test Rating
The Transit Leader is part of Ford’s 45th birthday celebrations for the Transit – and boy, has the best-selling van come a long way in that time. Leader is an excellent entry-level model, though the lack of air-con and sat-nav might mean residuals will be lower too. Apart from these items – which some might consider a luxury – it’s an excellent combination of engine, load carrying ability and comfort for the price.