THERE’s a good chance that your business vans are already equipped with satnav – its obvious advantages are in saving money by finding the best routes to a job, and keeping driver stress levels down.
Citroen is the only manufacturer in the UK offering vans fitted with stolen vehicle tracking
But there’s even more to the sophisticated Trafficmaster Smartnav telematics system fitted as standard on all Citroen Berlingo, Dispatch and Relay panel vans. In addition to Trafficmaster Smartnav satellite navigation, the telematics package includes Trackstar stolen vehicle tracking.
And the overall package can provide a platform for low cost, real-time van management services.
Citroen has just fitted the 80,000th Trafficmaster Smartnav system – to the first Relay 30 L1H1 e-HDi six-speed Stop & Start model.
The latest system has a larger, higher-resolution colour screen. The new 5in (127mm) screen replaces the previous unit’s 4.25in (108mm) screen. It has been introduced to give greater clarity for the map display, as well the system’s functions, which are displayed across the bottom of the screen.
The Trafficmaster telematics package has an impressive record. In 2012, the package resulted in:
- Citroen LCV drivers saving the equivalent of 14,311 working days thanks to avoiding traffic congestion
- Almost 4,000,000 routes being downloaded to Citroen LCV drivers
- A total of 211 emergency calls made through Trafficmaster by Citroen LCV drivers
- Major reductions in CO2 as well as running-cost savings through efficient routing and congestion avoidance
- Driver stress level reduced by up to a third, with an associated reduction in risk and improved safety
- 19 out of 21 stolen Citroen LCVs being recovered, 60% of which were recovered within one hour.
Citroen is the only manufacturer in the UK offering vans fitted with stolen vehicle tracking. In 2012, the Trackstar stolen vehicle recovery system resulted in 19 of the 21 vans stolen (76% of which were taken with the keys) being recovered.
As a result, 15 thieves were arrested and more than £300,000 worth of vehicles were recovered.
Businesses running Citroen vans can also specify Trafficmaster’s Fleet Director real-time fleet management package. This option provides business van managers with a range of services, including live vehicle reporting, optimised routing on multi-drop runs, two-way messaging and vehicle/driver management reports.
Vans can also be ‘geofenced’ to ensure and prove they are not used at weekends or out of hours.