TAKING over from the 2015 winner, the Citroen Relay, is Vauxhall’s second commercial winner in the 2016 Business Van awards – as the Movano takes the Best Heavy Van award.
The familiar Movano won Best Heavy Van because it has key features needed for a van in this class – tough but still reliable and able to cover long distances keeping the driver and passengers comfortable but also safe.
Vauxhall Movano Panel 3500 2.3CDTI 16v 136 BiTurbo L4H2 RWD ecoFLEX Start/Stop
- Gross vehicle weight: 2,270kg
- Payload: 1,176kg
- Load volume: 14.9 cu m
- Fuel economy (combined): 34mpg
- CO2 emissions: 219 g/km
- Price (ex-VAT): £23,064
Yet, be fuel efficient and offer a wide range of different versions to suit all tastes.
It’s a big ask for a van to be capable of all of this, but the established Vauxhall Movano turned out to be the ‘hidden gem’ of this class and as such takes over from the Citroen as another brilliant winner for van operators.
Lightly refreshed last year, the winning Movano version, the Panel 3500 2.3CDTI 16v 136 BiTurbo L4H2 RWD ecoFLEX Start/Stop provides operators with an attractive blend of an expansive load area, sturdy build with the expected driver safety, comfort and convenience features and long 25,000-mile service intervals which go towards reducing operating costs.
The winning Movano version, the Panel 3500 2.3CDTI 16v 136 BiTurbo, has:
- A competitive 1,525kg payload,
- A full height steel bulkhead, protective floor coverings, or you can opt for an anti-slip floor with built-in fixing rails, with anchor points every 25mm. Side wall anchor rails, movable partitions and a telescopic blocking bar system are offered for improved load retention.
- Electric windows, driver’s airbag, ESP with traction control, remote central door locking, Radio/CD player with Bluetooth hands free and USB socket.
- Fuel efficient, competitive emissions/BiTurbo diesel (CO2 219g/km, combined cycle 34.0mpg)
- Impressive inlife operating costs (with service intervals up to 25,000 miles)
- Wide range of competitively-priced options, including reverse parking sensors, a rear view camera, air-conditioning and an impressive choice of other pack options.
- Choice of cab options (double cab, chassis cab, crew cab and platform cab), plus an extensive list of approved conversions.
Dave Bowen, chairman of the Judges and managing director of BT Fleet, said: “The Movano is a tried and tested vehicle that has undergone light body panel revisions recently. Its real winning capability is the choice of either front or rear wheel drive, GVW of up to 4.5 tonnes, 25,000-mile/two-yearly service intervals and a range of heights/lengths. Various cab variants (double cab, chassis cab, crew cab & platform cab) are boosted by Vauxhall’s extensive body conversion choice of tippers, dropsides, box vans and mini-buses.”
The Business Van Awards 2016 are sponsored by Vanarama.
Best Heavy Van. What were the judges looking for?
- When you have to deliver big, then you need a heavyweight.
- Qualifying vans in the 3.0-3.5t range.