Mercedes-Benz Vito 116CDI Sport Compact Dualiner
What is it?
The crew-van version of the Mercedes-Benz Vito, the Dualiner, in common with its panel van counterpart, is available in compact, long and extra-long variants.
As well as the standard model, Sport and Sport-X versions are also on offer. Our review van was a Mercedes Vito 116CDI Sport Compact with 6-gear Eco 360 manual transmission.
More and more small businesses are finding the flexibility of a crew van suits them, allowing a similar payload to the panel van when just a driver with one or two crew will cover the job, but with the option carrying a full complement of driver plus five crew if needed.
Naturally, with all six seats filled, the load space is reduced, but you don’t buy a crew van if all you need is a panel van.
In common with its panel van stablemate, it’s the only medium crew-van offered in three lengths and with a six-speed gearbox and ESP stability control as standard. As noted in our review of the panel van Vito, you’d have to fork out extra for ESP with rival models.
The Vito Sport oozes class. It doesn’t just look good it feels good, too. The three-pointed star on the front promises quality and the Vito doesn’t disappoint in this respect.
It’s well built and feels solid as a rock. The stylish cab is a pleasant place to be and the driving position and visibility are excellent.
There are some quirky controls, such as the single stalk for both wipers and lights, and the foot-operated parking brake, which take a little getting used to. But the overall level of equipment – such as the multi-function steering wheel with trip computer and the cruise control – is good as well as easy to use.
The test model was powered by the 163hp intercooled turbo-diesel unit, which has bags of zip and will propel the Vito Dualiner Sport from standstill to 62mph in 11.5 seconds. It’s characteristically Mercedes – smooth and quiet; likewise, so is the six-speed gearbox.
Combined cycle fuel consumption is stated at 37.7mpg and CO2 emissions are 198g/km. That’s not up to the economy offered by the new Ford Transit ECOnetic, which offers 44.8mpg, on paper, anyway.
With rear seats in place, the Mercedes Vito Dualiner cargo floor area offers 3.0cu m of loadspace and a 1405mm load length. With seats removed, the load length is 2667mm. Maximum width is 1396mm.
The Vito is covered by a three-year unlimited mileage warranty and 24-hour roadside breakdown assistance throughout the UK and mainland Europe.
But with a payload of less than a tonne, and windows on the second row of doors, taxation and VAT reclamation is something of a grey area. This is an issue you’ll need to investigate with the taxman, depending on your usage, before you rush out and buy a Dualiner model.
- Style – that three-pointed badge will always have a certain cachet
- Substance, too – it’s predictably well built and well thought-out
- It’s also sporty to drive with great handling
- Head-turning looks with metallic paint, alloy wheels, side bars and smoked glass side windows
- And it’s a Mercedes-Benz – good residuals are guaranteed
- There’s also a fantastic level of service for Mercedes-Benz commercial buyers including free servicing for five years/60,000 miles or whichever comes sooner
- If you need more space, the Mercedes Vito Dualiner is offered in high-roof and long and extra-longs versions, too
- Seats are very firm – Mercedes says that’s good for support, especially after long hours behind the wheel, but some might find them rather hard
- Fuel consumption falls short of new Transit Custom
- If you have the Mercedes Vito Dualiner as a company van, and use it privately at weekends ore during the week, you’ll need to pay company van tax
Business Vans verdict
The Mercedes Vito Dualiner Sport is classy, versatile and an utter delight to drive, with sporty performance, handsome looks and reassuring build quality. Fuel consumption is a little disappointing and the tax situation would need clarification. But if your business needs the flexibility offered by a crew van, the Vito Dualiner has a lot going for it.
What you need to know
|On the road price as tested (ex-VAT)||£26,395|
|Load width (max)||1396mm|
|Load capacity||3.0cu m|
|Towing capacity braked/unbraked||2000/750kg|
|Engine||2.1-litre, 4-cyl diesel|