SOMETIMES good isn’t just good enough. Sometimes it has to be the best: step forward the new Mercedes X-Class equipped with a V6 and permanent four-wheel drive.
It’s the top of the range new pick-up from Mercedes. The Mercedes X 350 d 4MATIC.
This latest X-Class features a 258hp 3.0-litre six-cylinder diesel engine. But what really delivers is the torque: 550 Nm from 1400 to 3200 rpm. Once going, this Merc will keep heading for the horizon.
Just in case you were wondering, 0-62mph takes 7.9secs.
Of course if you want top of the range, you don’t want to fiddle with a gearshift. Why waste time?
The top of the range X-Class X 350 d helps here with seven-speed 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission as standard. Mercedes says there is no interruption in tractive power during gearchanges which leads to better handling characteristics on uphill gradients, when driving off-road, and when towing a trailer.
Standard equipment is suitably high-end too. In top Power trim there’s chrome-plated underride guard, a chrome-plated rear bumper, 18-inch six-spoke alloys, LED High Performance headlamps and…well, you get the picture.
Choice of driving modes for the X 350d
In the centre console of the X 350 d 4MATIC you’ll find a driving mode control switch. It’s called Dynamic Select.
So whether you feel like ripping up the tarmac, or plugging through the mud, the big Merc pick-up truck has a driving mode for you.
The driving modes are:
- Comfort (C): This mode is activated automatically when the engine starts.
- ECO (E): 7G-TRONIC PLUS changes the gears at low engine speeds.
- Sport (S): The engine responds more immediately to the throttle. Shifts are at higher engine speeds.
- Manual (M): The automatic transmission can be manually operated using the gearshift paddles on the steering wheel. Should you feel inclined.
- Offroad (O): Suitable for driving on challenging terrain. It offers higher switch points and a flatter, and therefore more precisely adjustable, accelerator characteristic curve.
The ECO start/stop function is active in all driving modes except Offroad (O) mode.
So how much will the X 350d 4MATIC cost?
Ah, for that we will have to wait, says Mercedes in the UK.
The current range-topper is the X 250 d 4MATIC 190 PURE Double Cab 4MATIC Auto at £36,067. So expect this newcomer to nudge the £40k mark.