driving tips for travelling abroad
Share this article

BUSINESSES should ensure that employees planning to take their vehicle abroad have the right paperwork, as simply having a UK driving licence won’t cover the legal requirements once Britain leaves the EU.

No matter what happens from 29 March onwards, British drivers will most probably require a Green Card in order to drive in the EU and In the event of no deal, it is likely that drivers will not be allowed entry to the EU, except Ireland, if their passport is within six months of expiry.

This is the norm for the rest of the world, so drivers need to check their expiry date.

Venson Automotive Solutions said that in addition, drivers may need extra paperwork to legally drive in the EU. It is expected that any travel into Europe will require a motor insurance Green Card. This will replace the current European Certificate of Insurance, which allow UK citizens to travel under one simple certificate.

Crucially, for businesses, drivers of leased and rented vehicles need to get a VE103B certificate from their hire or leasing company before taking a vehicle overseas. This documentation is essential to prove that the driver has permission to drive the vehicle.

Simon Staton, Director of Client Management at Venson Automotive Solutions said: “Under the Brexit deal drafted at the end of 2018, visa-free travel should continue as it currently stands, until the end of the transition period.

“But in the event of a no-deal, businesses need to make sure they are fully aware of what arrangements need to be made before their drivers get on the road in European countries.”

Motorists may also be required to purchase an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be able to drive legally on European roads post-Brexit. There are two different types of IDP used in the EU, depending on the country being driven in, so businesses need to make sure drivers are prepared.

Staton said: “Drivers need to consider a range of different issues. Hundreds of towns and cities in Europe now have environmental or Low Emission Zones, which means a UK driver needs to know their vehicle meets a range of emissions levels. It’s vital that motorists who plan to drive their company vehicle abroad at any point stay on the right side of the law.”


  • If you’re taking your company car to Europe contact your fleet manager or fleet management company to check whether you need an authority to travel form, a VE103B. Processing of the form typically takes 2 weeks.
  • Check your passport to ensure it is not within 6-months of the expiry date. If it is, it will need to be renewed.
  • Check if you need a Green Card. This replaces the current European Certificate of Insurance.
  • Even if you regularly drive abroad always check the local rules of the road before you go, as requirements can change. Visit the AA website for detailed advice.
  • Check your service schedule and if one is due make sure it’s carried out in advance of your visit to reduce the chance of expensive breakdowns while you’re abroad.
  • Check all tyres for condition, pressure and tread depth before you go. Most countries have the same requirement as the UK – a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm over the central three-quarters of the tread and around the whole circumference.
  • Before setting off on your journey make sure you have valid breakdown cover for Europe.
  • Many countries require visiting motorists to carry a safety bag. Check the AA website for country advice before you go.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here